I earned my ticket in 1998 while in college at Iowa State University working on an amateur hydrogen-line radio telescope along with KCØAYD. After graduation, I was off the air for almost 20 years until 2017 when I got interested in APRS, Software Defined Radio, and then got bit by the amateur satellite bug.
- FM Satellite QSOs (SO-50 and AO-85)
- Packet Satellite QSOs (ISS and NO-84)
- FM/Codec2 Satellite QSOs on LilacSat-1 (LO-90)
My first experiment with amateur satellites was sending APRS packets via ISS and PSAT (NO-84). For this, I dusted off my skills from college to build a homebrew Yagi, and used a Baofeng HT and PocketPacket TNC software on an iPhone.
Lately I have been working packet QSOs on ISS and NO-84 with APRS messages, using a Kenwood TH-D72a and an Arrow satellite antenna. I also chase the FM birds SO-50 and AO-85, trying to overcome my newbie operating skills for successful QSOs. I had my first satellite QSO via SO-50 on March 27, 2017 with K5ND in Texas. So far, the farthest stations I have contacted have been:
|In actuality, ISU was anything but boring!|
- North and East: Grid GP49 in Greenland (OX/NJ7H at 3,933 km).
- South: Grid FJ09 in Panama (HP2VX at 3,879 km).
- West: Grid CN77 in NW Washington State (N9IP at 2,516 km).
I also have a FUNcube Dongle Pro+ SDR. Here are some of my interests and experiments with this SDR:
- I have decoded telemetry data from FUNcube-1 (AO-73) and Nayif-1 (EO-88).
- I have listened to SSB voice operators on FO-29.
- I am also interested in receiving PSK31 and WSPR digital messages from both satellites and HF bands.
- I have had QSOs with other operators on LilacSat-1, which requires an SDR to decode the digital downlink. My first QSO on this satellite was with KB1PVH in Massachusetts on June 13.
Here is a link to my instruction guide for working LilacSat-1.
Other interests include spending time with my family, especially while traveling, hiking, reading, amateur astronomy, and, as it should probably go without saying, fine coffee.
73 and 55 (best success) to all,
Adam, KØFFY EN31